Sunday 11 January 2015

Simple Beginnings

This block
Is the first of 64 that will go into this year's show quilt.
I have never made a log cabin quilt and decided it was time to try.
I've made 4 of the 64 blocks now, in a quite involved pattern that I've mapped out on grid paper.

I have very few funds at the moment, so I asked for the cream and white fat quarters for Christmas (I went and bought them myself of course :) ).

I'm scratching around for enough purples of the right shade to make up the rest of the purple blocks, and then I'm making blue and pink blocks as well to form the pattern on the quilt.

I will have to wait until next pay day until I can buy some blues that fit in with the tones I've picked ... so it will be a few weeks before I can start those blocks. But in the mean time I'll be doing some of the all white and cream blocks that make up part of the borders.

I've never completed a quilt this way. I usually start in the middle and keep building outwards until the top is done. So it will be interesting for me to work in this way.

I'm sure I'll have the top done by the March deadline of entries for Sydney Quilt Show.

OK, now I'm off to do some sewing but I though tit was WELL PAST time for me to post.
Jennidee

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you've recorded your first block of your show quilt. It sounds like you've got it all planned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel ... yes I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. Today I sewed another 10 blocks so I've done 14 out of 64. Phew.

      Delete