Thursday, 5 March 2015

Centre Applique

Here's an update on the log cabin quilt.
The centre applique in in place, but the edges are still raw.
I'm not 100% happy with the shapes and colours. But as I don't have all the time on the world, I need to leave it. I still have until the end of next week to do the outter borders applique and sew all the blocks. But now I'm comfortable. Even if I don't get the top completely finished. I can put it together on a table to take a photo and show what stage it is up to (the quilt doesn't need to be finished for it to be entered). I'm still aiming for the top completion though.

Wednesday, 25 February 2015

All 64 Blocks

OK, here they all are.
The white one on the bottom left just wouldn't fit on the tables (there are four tressel tables under all the blocks.

Next I will sew a few of the blocks together that need it, and do the applique.

I've had some help the last few days from our new addition.
This is Ollie (short for Olivia). Today I had to keep shooing her away from the moving parts of the sewing machine and rescuing her from pulling the iron down on her head. It's a good thing she is cute!

Hope you are having fun making your own creations

Thursday, 19 February 2015


OK OK I've been AWOL for a month.
I've been happily art journalling over at my other blog
Jens Arty Life

And then my Quilters Guild magazine arrived yesterday with the entry forms for the show and I realised the deadline was approaching fast for entries. The quilt doesn't have to be completed to be accepted. But I would like to have the top done for a better chance at making the show.

So yesterday I sewed another 4 blocks and I plan to do at least 6 a day over the next week to get all the blocks done. I have 19 left to do. But here is the stack now
Yesterday I calculated all the strips I would need for the last blocks and I finished cutting them this morning. So the last 19 blocks just have to be assembled.

Then I need to do the applique and put the top together. I think I should be able to do it all in a few weeks (there are 3 weeks left for the deadline) and that allows time in the mail for the entry if I need to do it that way.

Hmmmm .... better get back to sewing then!

Saturday, 17 January 2015

Nearly half way there

Thirty one blocks done.
The pattern from the arrangement of log cabins is starting to show more definitely.
It's getting big and hard to take a picture of.
I had to stand on the arm of the lounge to take this. When all the blocks are together it won't even fit on my two tables. :)

I need to design the applique for the middle and buy the backing stabiliser soon because I want to start putting more blocks together (which I really can't do until I've finished the applique. But that might have to wait until pay day which isn't until the end of the month.

It's fun to see it coming together though.

Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Coming together

Twenty two blocks done and forty two to go.
The middle is now showing some of the pattern.
The all white blocks in the corners aren't in the real place. I just put them there to show the pattern coming together.

Yesterday I bought all the blues I need and I've started cutting into strips.
I can't wait to see the next rows come together.

Monday, 12 January 2015

Fourteen Down

Yesterday I sewed my little heart out and completed another 10 log cabin blocks. I had done 4 the day before, so now I have 14 and only 50 to go.

Oops, how did that get in here??? LOL

OK, so here is the photo I meant to select ... my log cabin coming together. It's a bit less exciting than the top picture.

And I'd also like to share with you a quilt I finished for a customer. This is Jenny Herring's Quilt that she has been working on for many years, and finally completed (one of those long term WIPS we all seem to have). I quilted in each block to give an overall double wedding ring effect and we were both very happy with the result.

I love how the pattern makes a secondary pattern of a diagonal chain.

Now I'm off to put another customer's quilt onto the frame, and hopefully get some more log cabin blocks done.

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Simple Beginnings

This block
Is the first of 64 that will go into this year's show quilt.
I have never made a log cabin quilt and decided it was time to try.
I've made 4 of the 64 blocks now, in a quite involved pattern that I've mapped out on grid paper.

I have very few funds at the moment, so I asked for the cream and white fat quarters for Christmas (I went and bought them myself of course :) ).

I'm scratching around for enough purples of the right shade to make up the rest of the purple blocks, and then I'm making blue and pink blocks as well to form the pattern on the quilt.

I will have to wait until next pay day until I can buy some blues that fit in with the tones I've picked ... so it will be a few weeks before I can start those blocks. But in the mean time I'll be doing some of the all white and cream blocks that make up part of the borders.

I've never completed a quilt this way. I usually start in the middle and keep building outwards until the top is done. So it will be interesting for me to work in this way.

I'm sure I'll have the top done by the March deadline of entries for Sydney Quilt Show.

OK, now I'm off to do some sewing but I though tit was WELL PAST time for me to post.