Saturday, 17 January 2015

Nearly half way there

Thirty one blocks done.
The pattern from the arrangement of log cabins is starting to show more definitely.
It's getting big and hard to take a picture of.
I had to stand on the arm of the lounge to take this. When all the blocks are together it won't even fit on my two tables. :)

I need to design the applique for the middle and buy the backing stabiliser soon because I want to start putting more blocks together (which I really can't do until I've finished the applique. But that might have to wait until pay day which isn't until the end of the month.

It's fun to see it coming together though.

Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Coming together

Twenty two blocks done and forty two to go.
The middle is now showing some of the pattern.
The all white blocks in the corners aren't in the real place. I just put them there to show the pattern coming together.

Yesterday I bought all the blues I need and I've started cutting into strips.
I can't wait to see the next rows come together.

Monday, 12 January 2015

Fourteen Down

Yesterday I sewed my little heart out and completed another 10 log cabin blocks. I had done 4 the day before, so now I have 14 and only 50 to go.

Oops, how did that get in here??? LOL

OK, so here is the photo I meant to select ... my log cabin coming together. It's a bit less exciting than the top picture.

And I'd also like to share with you a quilt I finished for a customer. This is Jenny Herring's Quilt that she has been working on for many years, and finally completed (one of those long term WIPS we all seem to have). I quilted in each block to give an overall double wedding ring effect and we were both very happy with the result.

I love how the pattern makes a secondary pattern of a diagonal chain.

Now I'm off to put another customer's quilt onto the frame, and hopefully get some more log cabin blocks done.

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Simple Beginnings

This block
Is the first of 64 that will go into this year's show quilt.
I have never made a log cabin quilt and decided it was time to try.
I've made 4 of the 64 blocks now, in a quite involved pattern that I've mapped out on grid paper.

I have very few funds at the moment, so I asked for the cream and white fat quarters for Christmas (I went and bought them myself of course :) ).

I'm scratching around for enough purples of the right shade to make up the rest of the purple blocks, and then I'm making blue and pink blocks as well to form the pattern on the quilt.

I will have to wait until next pay day until I can buy some blues that fit in with the tones I've picked ... so it will be a few weeks before I can start those blocks. But in the mean time I'll be doing some of the all white and cream blocks that make up part of the borders.

I've never completed a quilt this way. I usually start in the middle and keep building outwards until the top is done. So it will be interesting for me to work in this way.

I'm sure I'll have the top done by the March deadline of entries for Sydney Quilt Show.

OK, now I'm off to do some sewing but I though tit was WELL PAST time for me to post.